Johannesburg, South Africa
Posted on Wednesday, December 6, 2023
PayJoy is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping a billion people around the world step into the modern financial system for the first time and supporting them on a path to financial success. Founded in 2015, PayJoy’s “secret sauce” technology turns a smartphone into collateral to jumpstart unbanked consumers into the credit system. We reached profitability in 2020, reaching 8 million happy customers and over a billion dollars of sales in 2023.
PayJoy is hiring a Risk Manager who will help scale PayJoy’s point of sale phone finance portfolio in South Africa and to help launch and scale portfolios in new markets as well. The right candidate will be an ambitious self-starter and strong teammate who lives in PayJoy’s data to drive profitability and help PayJoy deliver on our mission to empower the next billion smartphone users.
As Risk Manager, you will be responsible for one or more of PayJoy’s portfolios. You will be using PayJoy’s data warehouse to build analyses, policy recommendations, pricing and controls that optimize risk outcomes for PayJoy’s South Africa business and in future new markets. You will be focused on defining actionable next steps that improve product profitability and risk KPIs, all while maintaining laser focus on PayJoy’s mission of bringing finance to the next billion.
In this role, you will work directly to provide data-driven insights and policy updates working with a broad set of stakeholders and teams including Executive, Fraud, Product, Engineering and Go to Market. You’ll have ownership of the asset performance of our South Africa portfolio and managing relationships with these stakeholders to deliver the expected results.
- Use SQL and R or Python to extract and manipulate data to make data-driven, actionable recommendations about how to improve outcomes
- Work closely with the Data Science team to price and implement ML and AI models that optimize portfolio outcomes.
- Define, implement and monitor A/B Tests with the product and marketing team that will improve our product and help us reach more customers.
- Write succinct and thoughtful documentation that explains your recommendations.
- Own risk KPIs for South Africa and additional future new markets
Requirements, Skills and Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics, Mathematics, Industrial Engineering or a similar field.
- 4+ years of experience in credit risk management functions in fintech or commercial banking.
- Strong general analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Mastery of SQL (including concepts like CTE and window functions)Proficiency in Python or R.
- Understanding of statistical tools and methods, and experience working with large data sets.
- Experience running A/B and multivariate tests.
Additional Qualifications (nice to have)
- Master’s Degree in Data Science, Analytics or Business Administration.
- 1+ years of people management experience
PayJoy is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and we welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Finance for the next billion * Ownership * Break Through Walls * Live Communication * Transparency & Directness * Focus on Scale * Work-Life Balance * Embrace Diversity * Speed