Staff Data Engineer
Software Engineering, Data Science
Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2024
Zūm has reimagined student transportation, the nation's largest mass transit system. Our integrated end-to-end cloud-based platform provides a modern service for school districts purpose-built around the needs of kids and the expectations of their families. Zūm provides one seamless, real-time interface for parents, drivers, schools, districts, administrators, and operators, to transport children safely and with increased visibility and personalized care. Our multi-sized vehicle approach includes an electric vehicle-first commitment, reduces student commute times by up to 20%, and coupled with our marketplace, delivers added fleet efficiency and optimization. We have been driving the industry forward since 2015, and with more than 8 million miles completed to date, we are leading a new era of safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable transportation.
Zūm is the leader in student transportation and logistics. We are building the next generation of technology and service platforms to bring student transportation into a new age while enabling equity, innovation, efficiency, and sustainability. We are a well-funded Series E (1.3B Valuation) company backed by top global VC firms. We are actively growing and scaling our product and engineering teams.
We are looking for a Staff Data Engineer for our Data Science and Engineering team. Being the earliest member of this team, you will profoundly impact the technical direction of our data strategy. You will love this job if you are a self-driven developer who enjoys solving complex problems and building impactful solutions.
What To Expect In This Role
- Work closely with Product, Engineering, and other key stakeholders to understand the data requirements and translate them into concrete executable roadmap
- Design, develop, and manage highly reliable and performant data infrastructure to support growing analytics and AI needs
- Build reusable frameworks that improve the reliability and scalability of our ETLs
- Introduce tools and processes to scale (and accelerate) our development processes
- Flexibility to maintain a physical presence in the office for a minimum of three days per week.
Essential Technical Skills For This Role
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or equivalent degrees
- 10+ years of professional experience
- 8+ years experience working in data engineering, business intelligence, or a similar role
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Python/Java
- 5+ years of experience in ETL orchestration and workflow management tools like Airflow, Flink, Oozie, or similar technologies
- Expert in Database fundamentals, SQL
- Expert in Distributed systems
- Experience working with Postgres or any other DBMS platforms
- Experience working with BigQuery, RedShift, Snowflake, or any other Data Warehouse platform
- Experience working on reporting tools such as Tableau, Looker, Superset, or similar technologies
- Familiarity with cloud technologies like AWS/GCP/Azure.
Other Skills Required To Succeed In This Role
- Excellent Communication skills
- Experience working with both technical and non-technical teams
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and a self-starter
- Good planning, organization, and decision-making skills
- Good sense of humor with a great ability to work with others
The targeted base salary range for this role is listed in the compensation section below. Actual salary may be above or below this range based on factors such as location, skills, and relevant experience. In addition, this position may include additional compensation in the form of bonus, equity, or commissions. If you are a full-time salaried or hourly worker, we offer the following benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k), Holidays, Wellness, Vacation, and more. The targeted pay range for this role in US CA is: $175-225k
Zum Services, Inc. and all its subsidiaries provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.