Staff Engineer / Tech Lead Backend Platform (Multiple Openings)
Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2023
Zūm has reimagined student transportation, the nation's largest mass transit system. Our integrated end-to-end cloud-based platform provides a modern service for school districts purpose-built around the needs of kids and the expectations of their families. Zūm provides one seamless, real-time interface for parents, drivers, schools, districts, administrators, and operators, to transport children safely and with increased visibility and personalized care. Our multi-sized vehicle approach includes an electric vehicle-first commitment, reduces student commute times by up to 20%, and coupled with our marketplace, delivers added fleet efficiency and optimization. We have been driving the industry forward since 2015, and with more than 8 million miles completed to date, we are leading a new era of safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable transportation.
Zūm is the leader in student transportation and logistics. We are building the next generation of technology and services platform to bring student transportation into a new age while enabling equity, innovation, efficiency, and sustainability. We are a well-funded Series E (1.3B Valuation) company, backed by top global VC firms. We are actively growing and scaling our product and engineering teams.
We are looking to add a Tech Lead (Staff Engineer) to our backend engineering team. You will have opportunities for hands-on contribution in building Zum’s technology platform. If you are a self-driven developer who enjoys solving complex problems and building impactful solutions, you will love this job.
What to expect in this role:
● You will be a core contributor in designing the architecture of our backend platform
● Lead a team of 2-4 backend developers to deliver high-quality product features
● Introduce tools and processes to scale (and accelerate) our development processes
● Work with product and design team to plan and deliver on new product features
● Flexibility to maintain a physical presence in the office for a minimum of three days per week.
Basic technical skills for this role:
● Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or equivalent degrees
● 8+ years industry experience as a Software Engineer and/or Tech Lead
● Experience in building enterprise software platforms
● Hands-on architecture design and coding skills
● Experience working with relational and non-relational databases
● Experience in one or more programming languages - Node.js, Java, Python
● Hands-on experience with deploying and managing apps on the cloud - AWS/Google
Other skills required to succeed in this role:
● Strong technical experiences and eagerness to establish good engineering practices
● Good planning, organization, and decision-making skills
● Good communication with engineers, product managers, and other stakeholders
● Good sense of humor with a great ability to work with others
The targeted base salary range for this role is listed in the compensation section below. Actual salary may be above or below this range based on factors such as location, skills, and relevant experience. In addition, this position may include additional compensation in the form of bonus, equity, or commissions. If you are a full-time salaried or hourly worker, we offer the following benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k), Holidays, Wellness, Vacation, and more. The targeted pay range for this role in US CA is: $220-260k
Zum Services, Inc. and all its subsidiaries provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.