Senior Manager of People Operations
Paystand is a dynamic and rapidly growing company with roots in the serene Santa Cruz mountains and a footprint extending to vibrant tech hubs like Guadalajara, Salt Lake City, South San Francisco, and Minneapolis. Recognized three years in a row on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing companies and bolstered by the recent acquisition of Yaydoo, Paystand is at the forefront of innovation in FinTech.
As a venture-backed organization, we take pride in being a top innovator in the industry. Our mission is to transform capital efficiency for enterprise businesses through our revolutionary "Payments as a Service" platform. Utilizing cutting-edge technologies, including internet, blockchain, and FinTech services, we digitize receivables, automate processing, reduce time-to-cash, lower transaction costs, and create new revenue streams for our clients.
By joining Paystand, you become part of a team that values innovation, growth, and excellence. We are committed to fostering a dynamic work environment where your skills and talents are not only recognized but also contribute to the continued success of our company.
Role at a Glance
Paystand's Sr. Manager of People directly aids with and facilitates the human resource processes at all business locations in the United States and provides indirect support to our Mexico and LATAM teams as needed. This position will make sure that all plans are administered by federal and multiple state regulations and that plan provisions are followed. This role provides administrative support to the human resource function as needed, including record-keeping, file maintenance, and HRIS entry. This role administers employee health and welfare plans and acts as a liaison between employees and insurance companies via our broker. This position resolves benefits-related problems and ensures the effective use of plans and positive employee relations.
Role & Responsibilities
- Partner with, and advise leaders and managers on performance management & coaching, employee relations, and organizational development.
- Ensure that we are positioned to scale quickly and efficiently to meet the needs of the business.
- Work with legal counsel and external consultants to help ensure Paystand’s compliance with federal, state, and local labor regulations (CA, UT, MN, TX)
- Direct efforts to continually standardize processes across all our locations (CA, UT, MN, FL, TX).
- Works closely to coordinate and streamline PeopleOp initiatives and processes with the Director of PeopleOps-LATAM.
- Develop and implement standardized HR policies and programs across all USA offices (and international operations when necessary).
- Act as an advocate and resource for all Paystanders.
- Own onboarding execution and our tools to ensure each new hire has a seamless experience from offer acceptance through their first day.
- Troubleshoot escalations related to complex systems limitations from business teams by engaging in root cause analysis and implementing solutions that are in the best interest of the employee and business.
- Work with legal counsel and external consultants to help ensure Paystand’s compliance with all federal, multi-state, and local labor regulations in the USA.
- Implements employee benefits programs and informs employees of benefits by studying and assessing benefit needs and trends.
- Recommend benefit programs to management and conduct educational programs on benefit options.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law; applies this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources to upper management.
- Facilitates professional development, training, rewards & recognition, and activities for staff.
- Works in conjunction with other departments to implement and promote a culture of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Works closely with the finance and payroll team to ensure employee
- Performs other duties as required.
Core Competencies and Experience
- Experience supporting a scaling organization at critical stages of growth & expansion.
- Hands-on experience supporting the HR needs of a growing and transitional organization.
- Demonstrated understanding of metrics, drivers, variable compensation plans, and HR analytics.
- Background in process improvement and a passion for ways to streamline, automate, and scale people operations.
- Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles. Measures self against standard of excellence. Recognizes and acts on opportunities.
- Sets and achieves challenging goals. Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Thrives in a fast-paced constantly changing environment. Must be flexible and enjoy thinking outside the box for solutions to changes in business direction.
- Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits the ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses. Pursues training and development opportunities. Seeks feedback to improve performance. Shares expertise with others. Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
- High emotional intelligence. Encourages open communications; confronts difficult situations; maintains objectivity; keeps emotions under control; uses negotiation skills to resolve conflicts.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views.
- Gives and welcomes feedback. Puts success of team above own interests.
- Proficient in Google Suite, Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.) as well as Zoom and HRIS database systems such as Bamboo HR.
Qualifications & Requirements
- A background of 8+ years as an HR Business Partner or Generalist, preferably with experience at fast-growing technology companies.
- A clear, approachable, and friendly communication style.
- Proven ability to influence across diverse groups and levels.
- Minimum 3+ years managing California employee workforce.
- Minimum 3+ years managing Workers Compensation, FMLA/CFRA/PFL Leaves of Absence, AWA, ADA, EDD, etc.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment where business demands can quickly change the course of your actions.
- Strong analytical and project management skills; proven ability to design clear processes and a very detail-oriented yet flexible approach to problem-solving.
- Experience implementing scalable people programs including performance coaching, employee relations, compensation review process, HR compliance, and employee development/growth.
- General knowledge of how PeopleOp initiatives may impact the payroll process.
- Bilingual and the ability to conduct business transactions in both English & Spanish.
- Background and experience with international HR initiatives (mainly LATAM) and working within a matrixed organization.
- Experience supporting a workforce of 150+ employees at multiple locations.
- Experience supporting both private and public technology-based companies.
- Current Human Resources Certifications (SHRM-SCP, SHRM-CP, HRCI-SPHR, or HRCI-PHR).
- 120,000 USD - 170,000 USD salary base + quarterly bonus + competitive equity in a high growth-stage startup.
- Up to $10,200 per year Wellness Allowance.
- Stock Options, 401K & Roth 401K with company match.
- Comprehensive Benefits are offered including medical, dental, vision, Critical Illness, and Accident.
- Holidays, PTO, Float Days.
- Catered Lunches Daily and unlimited snack wall.
- Travel opportunities.
If you're passionate about driving change in the FinTech landscape and being part of a company that is shaping the future of digital payments, we invite you to explore opportunities with Paystand.
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience manifests in diverse ways, skills are transferable, and passion is a powerful driver. Your journey and skills are unique, and we value the richness that diverse perspectives bring to our team.
More than a resume, we prioritize a genuine commitment, impactful contributions, and the ability to thrive in our dynamic, collaborative environment. We are enthusiastic about providing you with opportunities to learn and grow within this role. If your experience aligns closely with what we're seeking, we encourage you to apply.
We celebrate the belief that diversity in backgrounds and thoughts fuels better problem-solving and fosters more creative thinking. Our commitment to adding new perspectives to the team reflects our dedication to innovation and inclusivity.
Your journey is important to us, and we look forward to the possibility of welcoming you to our team at Paystand. Feel free to reach out; we can't wait to hear from you.
All roles are on-site only. Only English resumes will be considered.
***No external recruiters please***