Staff Engineer (On-Prem)
Position: Staff Engineer (On-Prem)
Hiring Model: Remote
Who are we?
We are a Finnish-based international New Space company with employees from more than 57 countries in Finland, the US, the UK, Spain, Luxembourg, and Poland. Our team is a tight-knit group of experts from areas including engineering, software development, and radar technology. We’re innovative, driven people who strive for excellence in everything we do. Being advocates of our corporate culture, we value teamwork and curiosity, and we know how to have fun!
What do we do?
ICEYE is building and operating its commercial constellation of small Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellites with SAR data available to customers. Our satellites acquire images of Earth at any time – even when it’s cloudy or dark – providing commercial and government partners with unmatched persistent monitoring capabilities. Information derived from our SAR images helps customers make data-driven decisions to address time-critical challenges in various sectors, such as maritime, disaster management, insurance, and finance.
To support the company's growth, we are looking for a Mechanical Team Lead based in our office in Espoo, Finland.
About the role:
The CMG Staff Engineer will play a pivotal role in catering to the diverse needs of our development teams, enabling them to run their software effectively on our on-premises infrastructure.
As part of our growth strategy, we aim to automate our on-premises environment setup and application deployment processes. The Staff Engineer will work closely with System and Software Engineering teams to support this initiative, leveraging their technical expertise to drive automation efforts, enhance efficiency, and reduce manual overhead. With advanced interaction and discipline skills, the Staff Engineer will multiply the productivity of the team. Their work will help the CMGS team succeed and enable other teams and the engineering community to make informed technology and design choices that scale effectively to on-prem environments. The Staff Engineer will also serve as a trusted advisor for our on-prem solutions, using their expertise to influence decisions made by other teams. This role includes helping to quantify which actions are sensible to solve at the source, i.e., on the software development side, and which actions can be taken on the deployment level to patch solutions for the best impact.
This role is a unique opportunity for a strategic thinker who thrives in complex technical landscapes, excels in communication, and can provide technical leadership and mentorship. The impact of the Staff Engineer will be felt across our organization, from improving the delivery and maintenance of our on-prem platform to shaping the future of the Service Portfolio.
- Very experienced professional with 10+ years in software development, systems engineering, or DevOps.
- Deep understanding and practical experience with robust, scalable, and secure on-premise platforms based on Kubernetes; good knowledge of AWS
- experience in the development and delivery of in-house on-prem PaaS used by other development teams and/or enterprise solutions living both worlds - public cloud and on-prem
- ability to discuss any topic related to on-prem ecosystem
- Seasoned and approachable mentor willing to share knowledge and experience
- elevate others by encouraging technical/professional growth & advancement
- made a lasting impact on improving productivity and/or the culture of the engineering organisation
- Experience with enterprise monitoring and observability
- Proficiency in Infrastructure as Code (IaC) orchestration (preferably Terraform), automation tools (like Packer, Ansible), and CI/CD tools.
- Experience working across the engineering community to impact and influence technology choices and best practices.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- actively engage with stakeholders, providing timely information.
- able to articulate complex technical concepts to diverse audiences.
- Proven leadership skills, fostering a culture of transparency and inclusivity.
- proven experience in leading project/program work.
- Ability to balance short-term needs with long-term objectives
- ensuring that work being done consistently streamlines, not complicate, the successful completion of our programs.
- Role model who actively sponsors and mentors other engineers, boosting overall team efficiency.
Preferred to have:
- Experience in managing and improving existing Service Portfolio or Service Catalog
- experience in change management of technology/services used by multiple development teams
- Experience with FluxCD
- Python or Goland knowledge is a plus
- A job that matters in a dynamic New Space environment with a scale-up approach
- An independent role with a supportive and diverse work environment
- Occupational healthcare, occupational and private insurance
- A yearly benefit budget to spend as you wish (i.e., on sport, transport, wellness, lunch, etc.)
- Relocation support (i.e., flight tickets, accommodation, relocation assistance) is Optional if the job requires it
- Time for self-development, research, training, conferences, or certification schemes, including access to a company-paid language course.
- Inspiring and collaborating offices and silent workspaces enable you to focus
- A wide variety of the best coffee, tea, snacks, and sweets to accompany your daily space mission
Could this be the role for you? Apply now to start your journey with ICEYE.
We are making the impossible possible together.
Paul du Plessis (Talent Acquisition Partner)