Senior Catastrophe Modeler
Position: Senior Cat Modeler (Flood)
Location: Espoo, Finland, remote
Hiring Model: Hybrid
Who are we?
We are a Finnish-based international New Space company with employees from more than 57 nationalities. Our team is a tight-knit group of experts from areas including engineering, software development, and radar technology. We’re innovative, driven people who strive for excellence in everything we do. Being advocates of our corporate culture, we value teamwork and curiosity, and we know how to have fun!
What do we do?
ICEYE is building and operating its commercial constellation of small Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellites with SAR data available to customers. Our satellites acquire images of Earth at any time – even when it’s cloudy or dark – providing commercial and government partners with unmatched persistent monitoring capabilities. Information derived from our SAR images helps customers make data-driven decisions to address time-critical challenges in various sectors, such as maritime, disaster management, insurance, and finance.
What are we looking for?
We are seeking a Senior Catastrophe Modeler with a specialization in floods to join our team. In this role you will be responsible for developing, implementing and validating cat models for floods leveraging ICEYE’s archive of flood peril data. You will provided critical models and insights to support our client’s risk management and decision-making processes.
About the role?
The successful candidate will have deep experience with risk management, reinsurance, property insurance and underwriting and will have expert knowledge of catastrophe loss models and loss modeling frameworks. You are passionate about research and development of scientific-based natural catastrophe model solutions, and finding new ways that ICEYE peril data can be leveraged for loss and vulnerability / risk modeling. You will report to the Staff Engineer Team Lead in the Analytics team.
You will help to create an architecture for the ingestion of ICEYE flood peril data for loss and vulnerability / risk modelling. You will use remote sensing data to advance the state of the art in catastrophe loss modelling. You will play a critical role in analyzing and interpreting flood data, utilizing your expertise to develop accurate and effective models.
- Develop and maintain catastrophe models for flood events
- Analyze and interpret flood data, including historical loss data and hazard data
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to gather data and information required for modeling
- Validate and enhance existing models through review of the results and identification of areas for improvement
- Communicate results and findings to stakeholders in a clear and concise manner
- Stay current on industry trends, developments, and best practices in flood modeling
- Provide technical expertise and support to clients and other team members
- Bachelor's, Master's degree or PhD in a related field, such as mathematics, engineering, or geosciences
- 5+ years of experience in catastrophe modeling, with a focus on flood modeling
- Expert with Oasis, Climada, or other comparable loss modelling frameworks
- Expert in natural catastrophe vulnerability, loss, and climate impact modelling
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Highly experimental, driven, creative, and independent researcher
- Experience with Python
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Familiarity with geospatial analysis and GIS data
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks effectively
- A job that matters in a dynamic New Space environment with a scale-up approach
- An independent role with a supportive and diverse work environment
- Occupational healthcare, occupational and private insurance
- A yearly benefit budget to spend as you wish (i.e. on sport, transport, wellness, lunch, etc.)
- Relocation support (i.e. flight tickets, accommodation, relocation assistance) is Optional if the job requires it
- Time for self-development, research, training, conferences, or certification schemes, including access to a company-paid language course.
- Inspiring and collaborating offices and silent workspaces enable you to focus.
- A wide variety of the best coffee, tea, snacks, and sweets to accompany your daily space mission
Diversity& inclusion are core values at ICEYE. We are passionate about building and sustaining inclusive and equitable working and learning environments for all staff. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver solutions.
Could this be the role for you? Apply now to start your journey with ICEYE.
We are making the impossible possible together.
Something looks off?