Director of Applications Engine
Job Title: Director of Applications Engine
Location: Helsinki, Finland
ICEYE is a Finnish New Space company with the largest constellation of commercial synthetic aperture radar (SAR) satellites in space today. Our employees come from over 57 countries spanning expertise from areas including engineering, software development, data science, remote sensing, and radar technology.
Within ICEYE, the Analytics Team is dedicated to developing applications that mitigate damage from, quantify the impact of, and handle the outcome of global natural catastrophe events. Our mission as an Analytics organization is to research, experiment, deploy, & maintain algorithmic workflows as cloud scalable products, leveraging SAR and other geospatial data as input. We are looking for an experienced software leader for the role of Director of Applications Engine in the Analytics Department to grow and mentor world class software engineers.
About the role:
As the Director of Applications Engine at ICEYE, you will play a critical role in building and leading software teams that are at the forefront of remote sensing technology. You will be responsible for assembling, guiding, and mentoring cross-functional teams focused on developing the cloud infrastructure, MLops, data lake, data engineering workflows, and full-stack platforms/interfaces required to enable the development of end-to-end solutions for natural catastrophe prediction, response, and recovery. This role reports directly to the VP of Analytics.
- Technology Leadership: Work with the VP of Analytics to set the technical direction and vision for the software architecture, technology stack, and development methodologies. Develop and manage the budget for the Applications Engine team, including software and other operational expenses.
- Cloud Infrastructure: Oversee the design and implementation of a scalable and resilient AWS infrastructure to support data processing, storage, and analysis for our mission-critical applications. Collaborate with other Directors outside of Analytics to ensure that shared services practices are efficient and effective.
- MLops: Establish best practices for machine learning operations, ensuring seamless deployment, monitoring, and optimization of machine learning models.
- Data Engineering: Build and maintain robust data pipelines, ETL processes, and data quality controls within our data lake, ensuring the availability of high-quality data for analytics and modeling.
- Full-Stack Development: Drive the development of user-friendly platforms and interfaces for both internal teams and external customers to access and utilize our solutions effectively.
- Collaboration: Foster a collaborative culture, working closely with cross-functional teams including data scientists, domain experts, and product managers to deliver integrated solutions.
- Innovation: Stay up-to-date with the latest industry trends and emerging technologies, infusing creativity and innovation into our software engineering practices.
- Business Acumen: Align the team's goals with product’s and company's overall business objectives and help decide when needed which short term actions contribute to the long term goals.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field.
- 7+ years of proven experience in software engineering leadership roles.
- Experience in mentoring and supporting engineers with different seniority levels: our team is built out of exceptional Junior, Senior, Mid-career and Staff Engineers.
- Strong expertise in cloud computing, data engineering, and machine learning operations.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and a track record of delivering complex software projects on time and on budget. Experience in building complex research based applications in a production environment.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead high-performance, diverse teams.
- Ability to work in an agile environment where things change quickly and be able to bring the team along with the change.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate.
Why Join ICEYE?
- Impactful Product Development: Build products that help people plan for and recover from natural catastrophes.
- Cutting-Edge Technology: Be at the forefront of space technology and work on groundbreaking projects in the remote sensing and natural catastrophe prediction space.
- Creative Freedom: We value innovation and encourage our team members to think outside the box and push boundaries.
- Impact: Make a real impact on the world by contributing to solutions that protect and improve lives.
- Startup/Scaleup Culture: Enjoy the dynamic and collaborative atmosphere of a young company with a passion for space exploration.
- A job that matters in a dynamic New Space environment with a scale-up approach
- An independent role with a supportive and diverse work environment
- Occupational healthcare, occupational and private insurance
- A yearly benefit budget to spend as you wish (i.e. on sport, transport, wellness, lunch, etc.)
- Relocation support (i.e. flight tickets, accommodation, relocation assistance) is Optional if the job requires it
- Time for self-development, research, training, conferences, or certification schemes, including access to a company-paid language course.
- Inspiring and collaborating offices and silent workspaces enable you to focus.
- A wide variety of the best coffee, tea, snacks, and sweets to accompany your daily space mission
Diversity& inclusion are core values at ICEYE. We are passionate about building and sustaining inclusive and equitable working and learning environments for all staff. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver solutions.
Could this be the role for you? Apply now to start your journey with ICEYE.
We are making the impossible possible together.